Friday, June 3, 2011

11 days and other things....

11 days until VEPTR surgery. I am not going to speak on it again. At least not now. I pretty much feel just the same as I felt ten days ago. I just wanted to update the countdown, as we all know, I love a good countdown. Ask my bridesmaids. When I was getting married, I sent them a countdown email daily! What fun (for me)!

Anyway, I am in the midst of trying to prepare. Owen gets his clubfoot cast off on Monday morning and we get new feet and now for the first time ever, knee braces. I feel a little funny about pushing the knee braces while he is having surgery for the VEPTRs, but we shall see. Our orthopedist feels that if I don't put them on, I am wasting time. She went as far as getting emotional about it. I kind of feel like sometimes the doctors don't remember that Owen is human. He is a person, subject to the simple things such as pain, discomfort and a lack of patience for the constant next thing that is happening to him. I see how resilient he is. I see how forgiving. How far he can be pushed. But sometimes I think it's okay to allow him to heal from one of the most serious surgeries he will ever have, without shoving his knees in braces, especially for the first time. But that's just me. I will gauge what I think my son can handle and I will react accordingly. As it is, the club foot brace is non-negotiable. He must have it on, his foot must be stretched. Our orthopedist also told me she feels we will probably have to correct his foot again. I am not happy. I think it may be time to talk to some other parents and some other doctors about what the plan should be. We have just spent 12 of 14 months in casts. Why are we already planning to spend more time?

Just some thoughts.

Hmmm, as you can tell, I am in a bad mood about this.

But not all the time. I feel like the blog is where I get to vent and when I vent in writing, it comes out like it is in my head. I guess because there is no pressure to glaze over things and put on a happy face. So I am sorry if I am downer right now, please just bare with me over the next few weeks.

In other news, we have had some really good weekends lately. We had Dan and Heidi down for Memorial Day and we cooked out. We made lobsters and clams. It was a lot of fun and it was amazing to see the babies reaction to the backyard. Owen has been outside in back more because he won't go to bed before 9:30pm. But Caleb had not been back there since he was a newborn. The sheer joy on his face. His hands and feet were going in circles and he would just burst out laughing as the wind blew or the kids swung on the swing set. It was so pure and just the cutest thing you ever saw. Then Owen ate an ice pop by himself. He held the stick and and ate the ice pop! I was so happy, I almost cried. I know Owen will eat on his own, it's just pretty amazing to see. Eating on his own was never guaranteed, his hands were so incredibly closed when he was born, I couldn't get my thumb in the curl of his hand to clean it. However, he is part Collins and part Sedey and when it comes to good food, well, where there is a will, there is a way.

Here are some shots of Caleb's pure glee:



and Owen's first ice pop endeavor:



and of course, Gavin, Madison and the lobsters:



The basic day to day and week to week of life has been happy. There is just a dark cloud off the horizon that seems to be getting closer. I can't wait until it's over and my baby boy is home eating ice pops!

No comments:

Post a Comment