Tuesday, November 22, 2011

My first 5K



As I mentioned many blog posts ago, I started running. I started using a program called Couch 2 5K. It's free, you can find it on the internet and it basically takes you through a 9 week program, 6 of which is interval training and 3 of which is running for 20 minutes or more, until you can run a 5K or 3.1 miles. I started the program in August. I finished in October. I finished in 9 1/2 weeks. I am really proud of that, especially because I finished in the midst of Owen having VEPTR surgery and the staph infection. I ran at home, I ran in Philly. (Thank you UPenn for having that lovely lit up, security manned park near the hospital!)

I continued to run 3x weekly and this past weekend on November 20, 2011, I ran my first 5K. I ran Mamaroneck's 43rd Annual Turkey Trot. Whoo hoo!

I wasn't alone. Nick ran with me, as did my sister Alyson, brother-in-law Brian and Brian's sister and our friend, Kristen.

Gavin and his friend Madison ran the 1 mile kid's run.

It was quite exciting lining up to begin. We started out near the back. There were a ton of people. Nick and I stuck together. We ran the whole thing and our official time was 34:21. Unofficially (i.e. by my iphone) we ran it faster (33 min), but I think because we were in the back of the crowd in the beginning, we didn't pass the clock until we were a minute in. Next time, we will start closer to the front.

It was fun and it was hard and I want to do it again. I started out too fast and had to really concentrate on pacing myself. It's easy to get caught up in what everyone else is doing. When a family began singing behind us between miles 2-3, I wanted to trip them. When we approached the small but long uphill at about 2.8 miles, I wanted to lay on the grass and sleep. When we rounded to the finish with about 50 meters left, I felt happy and relieved and proud.


I am going to start training for a 10K this week. I am going to do the Bridge to 10K program. I am taking my running inside for the winter, with the exception of nice days. I am really glad I like running.

I am hoping to be able to run a 10K by early spring.

Here are some pics of our turkey trot!





2 comments:

  1. Way to go Sara and Nick !!! I have got to get Baylor signed up for a race. Good job Gavin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he liked it Chris! I am not sure he ran the full mile but he definitely had fun taking part and of course, getting the free t-shirt and hot dog after!

    ReplyDelete