Thursday, February 4, 2010

Just waiting on the babies....

Again, I let too much time go by without updating. I am currently 7 months pregnant with the twins. They are boys. For a while we were told one was a boy and one was a girl, but eventually we got a good look and it was clear, there was a penis there. I was disappointed for one second that my daughter was gone and then I got over it. I love my boys! We are so excited. Their arrival is about 7 weeks away now. If they have not come on their own by March 30,2010, then they are being evicted that week. Nick and I have decided April 2, 2010 is a good birthday.

One of the babies will be born with a clubfoot. It happens a lot with boys and it happens a good deal with twins due to the cramped nature of the womb. At first I was pretty upset and worried that it was an indication of something wrong genetically or something more serious, but after having a fetal echocardiogram on both of the babies, we were told that because its unilateral and because their hearts and other organs all look normal, its most likely just the foot. I still pray daily that that is the case. No matter what, we already love these two munchkins so much it does not matter, but one always hopes and wishes for a healthy child.

The process to correct his foot is lengthy. Very soon after being born, he will have his first cast. The casts are changed every 5 days to a week and there are many casts in a row as long as the foot is responding to the treatment. Thereafter, we may have to have a tenonomy (where the tendon is cut) and the final cast which remains on for 3 weeks. Not terrible. The baby will then have a brace and special shoes that he will wear for 3-4 months about 23 hours a day. After that we ween him off the brace, but he will still have to wear it during naps and sleep until he is about 5. After that, you hope and pray that there is not relapse. I have learned so much about clubfoot lately that I will do a seperate post about that at another time.

I am really excited because this weekend is my baby shower!!! I did not really have a shower with Gavin. My mother-in-law threw me a party in St. Louis after Gavin was born and everyone gave us gifts for him. It was a shower of sorts. Gavin came so soon after we were married and so close to Christmas that it would have just been horribly greedy to have had a shower. And boy am I glad that I did not!!! I need another one of everything for these babies! We have gotten some things but do not have all that we need. Of course, we are expecting a blizzard on Saturday, so we shall see what happens! Either way, it will be a good time.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sara,

    Congratulations on your twins! I have a 2 month old baby currently going through Ponseti treatment for his Clubfoot in Toronto. So far, his response has been excellent. Time flies by, we're not far away from Boots & Bars!

    I'll check back to see how your twins are doing. All the best. Feel free to drop me a line with any questions or concerns.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete