Friday, February 12, 2010

Picnic night tonight

Sometimes its very rewarding to have created something in your life that not only makes things easier on you, but seems so special to your child. I think back over Gavins life and the first thing that I thought of (which is not new to anyone but him) was "soda-juice". A combination of seltzer and 100% juice that totally satisfied his "need" for soda because, he simply thought he was getting it. Even at 5, soda juice is a good thing. Currently, there is picnic night. Picnic night was started about two years ago I would say. It was a Wednesday tradition, because I just do not feel like cooking on Wednesdays. I dislike Wednesdays. They feel like the longest day of the week to me. So I would come home and if it were cold I would make grilled cheese and tomato soup and if it were hot, it was veggie sandwiches of avocado, tomato, red onion and lettuce with balsamic and cut watermelon. All of these things were packed up like we were going on a picnic, put into a picnic basket that grammy bought (my mom) and we would arrive at the livingroom floor, where we spread out a blanket, sit on the floor and eat. Yes, I could have taken these outside during the summer months and sometimes we did, but for the most part, after a long day at work, the livingroom floor worked just fine. And Gavin loves it. Now, its not so much a Wednesday tradition as it is on request. Every couple of weeks or so, Gavin will say, "it should be a picnic night" and so it is. Tonight is grilled cheeses and tomato soup and for me green pea, because that is what the pregnancy craving calls for. I will most likely be able to get down on the floor, but maybe need some assistance getting up! And it will be simple and fun and I am looking forward to it. Maybe I will even serve soda-juice. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment