Tuesday, February 8, 2011

To cast or not to cast...

Prior to O's surgery, they had to take his cast off the clubbed foot. He has never been so full of joy. He spent the last week kicking, rubbing, and moving that foot. Everyone who saw O last week mentioned it. He was happy as a clam.

Yesterday, he had a cast put on. He was so so sad. Just sad. He cried and looked miserable and stared up at me with those big brown eyes. It broke my heart.

So I started to think. His feet will need another tenotomy. This time she will do it under anesthesia. She wants to correct the club foot at the same time she does the surgery for the vertical tallus, which is great because we only get anesthesia once. Why should he have to spend the next 4-5 months in a cast while we wait until after the VEPTRS to fix it? We shouldn't.

However, this means that Nick and I (and the therapists, nurses, friends and family) will all have to stretch that little foot, A LOT. I am talking about, if you touch him, you stretch him.

He is casted now and will have one more cast next Monday. Dr. F will let me know when I can soak that cast off. Thereafter, I will take pictures of his little foot to show all of you our progress over his free time.

Now that his spine is untethered and things are a bit more loose, we really have the opportunity now to correct his foot and maybe casting can be minimal this time around. If you saw how happy he was without a cast, you would know that the work will be worth it. He loves his knees! He loves to rub his feet together. He hates his cast.

I will keep you posted on how our home program goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment