Sunday, March 15, 2015

What happens when you catch a stomach bug on food prep day?

Ughhhh I caught the kids stomach bug. And I mean, it hit me like a ton of bricks. It was accompanied by a fever, aches, pains and exhaustion. Not to mention the frequent bathroom runs. (No pun intended!) 

While all of this was going on, all I could think about was there would be nothing for breakfast for the kids. No dinner either. Nick was home Sunday and found some homemade lentil soup and made toast with the bread I made on Saturday.  But the week was starting and I wasn't ready. I needed a weekend redo. 

Nick assured me Monday morning as I still lay in bed unable to do much more than sip water, run to the bathroom and sleep, that it was okay if the kids ate granola bars and bananas for breakfast. I was too sick to feel bad. 

As the day went on and I started to feel a little better I was able think the week through. With a little extra work each day, I would get through the week. No one would starve. I knew I would need to rely on my crock pot. 

My meal plan for the week had looked like this: 
Mon: butternut sage pasta
Tue: corned beef, colcannon, soda bread and carrots
Wed: white bean soup with rosemary and garlic 
Thur: ravioli and spinach 
Fri: leftovers 

And to my shock and awe, it's going to stay pretty close to that. 

When I felt much better I took a quick trip to trader joes where I bought some kashi, yogurt and more fruit. I knew we would survive breakfast for the week. I bought Irish soda bread because I just did not feel well enough to start from scratch. I bought some hummus and some stuff to make my bento lunch boxes for the week. 

Monday night I threw together soup. It was not white bean but it was split pea with rosemary and garlic. It wasn't my best effort as it should have been white bean but whatever. We ate. I won't sub split peas for white beans again. But doesn't it look pretty? 


I also got the potatoes and cabbage boiled and the corned beef in the crock pot so it could spend Tuesday cooking away. 

Colcannon:

I used the last bit of my energy to make 3 days worth of bento lunch boxes for myself. I am so into these. The colors, the variety, the little bites. I love snacks  more than meals, so this is right up my alley! 


Grapes, blueberries, strawberries, carrots, celery, cucumber, hummus, cheese and fig and olive crackers. How fun! I felt much better about the week. My stomach was still unhappy.

I woke up this morning feeling much better, plugged in the crock pot and I felt good about dinner. The feeling that dinner would be more than half done when I walked in the door made me feel relaxed. I made a note to self that I should work my crock pot into my weekly rotation. 

I had a meeting with G's school today so I had to leave work a little early. When I got home, I used the extra time to finish up dinner and to also make some granola and roast my butternut squash for my pasta tomorrow. 

Granola:


Squash:


And my Irish feast:



The change in the order of things means that we will eat pasta two nights in a row (butternut squash sage one night and ravioli the next) but I am going to be okay with that. 

It isn't every day I get sick and it was a good lesson for me. Food prep is essential but if something gets in the way, we will make it. No cause for alarm! No one will starve! No one even noticed really. Turns out the kids like granola bars and bananas for breakfast! 

I leave you with this: 


Happy St. Patrick's Day!!! 🍀🍀🍀🍀



No comments:

Post a Comment