Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Some test results and a recipe

Testing, testing, testing. We are almost done. Nick had his blood work and I have had a biopsy since my bloodwork. So far I have no clotting disorders and no genetic problems. Yay!!!!! Just waiting on the thyroid results, Nicks genetic results and the results of the biopsy. I have the HSG test in a couple of weeks and I am done! We wait for results and then we can figure out when its time to try again. I am looking forward to it. I am hopeful it will stick this time, although fully aware that it may not. It will be scary, but I am trying to make some positive life changes in the meantime and attempt to get my stress levels down. Nick and I are re-committing to being healthy. God, I wish I could just make a committment and stick with it already. My up and down, in and out, hate and love affair with getting healthy is very tiring!

So I will keep you all posted. (Who are you all I wonder... or is anyone even reading this ever???)

Anyway, I wanted to post a recipe. I love to cook so much that I wish I could do it for a living and lately I have been making a very simple, semi-homemade sauce that is great. So I wanted to share:

Penne Puttanesca

1/4 c capers (stored in salt if you can find, if not just use the ones in oil)
1 c of olives (I like kalamata, but can be any mix of greek, green and black olives)
1 small zucchini
1 large or 2 small garlic cloves
1/2 of one small white onion
handful of fresh basil
olive oil
1 jar of tomato sauce- I use Silvios Sunday Sauce - whatever you use make sure its thin and not too salty
Salt and Pepper
OPTIONAL: anchovy fillets and red pepper flakes
Penne (I use whole wheat and the sauce is strong so the pasta is very overpowered)

In a non-stick pan heat 2 T of olive oil. Add onions and garlic and fry until just starting to brown. Chop zucchini into thin disks and add to the oil mixture and sautee until soft. Add capers and olives and heat until warmed through. (If you are using anchovies, add now.) If you used capers in salt and kalamata olives- DO NOT ADD MORE SALT (until the end after you have tasted this). If you used capers in oil and regular black and green olives - salt at this time. Not too much salt, about 1/2 t- 1t depending on how much you like salt. Add jar of sauce. (If you are using red pepper flakes add now- 1/2 t) Mix thoroughly and allow to simmer on the stove for approximately 30 minutes. Just before tossing with the pasta, give the basil a rough chop and mix into sauce. Now toss with pasta and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment