Monday, September 13, 2010

A day of appointments...

Today we had a bunch of appointments. Its going to be this way for a while. I have Mondays off to deal with all of Owens things and today was a full day. First we had the cardiologist. We needed clearance for the real-time MRI because it requires general anesthesia. We had an EKG and a Echo and everything is great. His heart is pushed over a bit, but functionally, its fine. So we have our clearance. I have learned that nothing inside of Owen is exactly where yours or mine is, so it no longer bothers me to hear, but initially, when I would hear that his organs or bones were in a different place than they should be, it really bothered me.

We then had our ortho appointment and of course, his foot is trying to regress. She wants to start casting him again next week, but if we can stretch him (just for a minimum of an hour a day and three if we can swing it) then maybe we can keep the brace on. Ha. We stretch Owen, but an hour a day is quite hard and three is damn near impossible. I am wondering when I have an hour a day. Yeah, I got an hour a day, its just on the train on my way to work. I am not sure thats going to work. Needless to say, Nick and I will each find a half hour and get the hour in.

We had all our therapies today. At OT we got new elbow braces and a new knee brace for the leg thats been casted. We had a great therapy session and when we got home we had our EI therapy and our therapist stretched his foot for an hour.

At 6:30, the counselor or social worker came and it was my idea to have her, but we like her and I think she will help us with Gavin. Plus, I don't think it will hurt to have someone to chat with given the whole situation.

I spend so much time telling everyone how okay everything is and generally it is (see?) however, its also really really hard. Its not always okay. Its crazy sometimes and not just because of Owen, because we have twins, because we have three kids, because we have one disabled child, because its just really hard. Its hard for any family who has a baby or is adding a baby to their family. Its harder when its twins. Its even harder when one is disabled. Needless to say, I think the counselling aspect of things is a good idea.

In other news, Gavin started first grade and so far loves it. Tonight was our first night of homework and I remembered how much I hate kid homework. Why do they get homework so early in life? Is it for the parents? Last I checked, I completely understood the role of the letter "c", not only in my life, but in life in general. Anyway, the homework is done and tomorrow for the first time ever, Gavin will buy lunch. He is so excited about getting to choose chocolate milk over plain milk. Ah, the simple things.

Caleb is one minute away from crawling. I beg him daily to just stay immobile for a few more months, but he is trying his hardest not to listen. That child has the nerve to get on his hands and knees and rock forward and backward. And if that does not get him anywhere (and I promise it does) he uses his hands to pull and his knees and feet to push until he has made his way across a bed and now the floor. So, soon enough I will be baby-proofing, which to me means throwing out a bunch of crap so we can move all the valuable crap to where that was. Again, I beg him daily to hold off on this for obvious reasons.

And its Nicks birthday today! He is 32. Since it was such a crazy doctor day and he worked, we celebrated yesterday. I made fish tacos (his fav), mole chicken tacos and shredded beef tacos with all the fixins and then plum cake and mexican hot chocolate cupcakes from scratch. We had a few people over and drank a few beers and celebrated. It was a good time.


Okay, okay, enough already! Talk soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sara and Nick,

    This is Monica, daughter of Peggy S, a friend of the Sedeys. I recently learned about your journeys since the arrival of the new guys (congratulations on their arrival btw!) and have been thinking of you all so much.

    My mother shared the blog address with me and I just now had a chance to check it out. Nick, I know you are beyond busy but I'd love to catch up sometime (monice01 at earthlink dot net). And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    All the very best to the five of you...
    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Monica, I will pass this along to Nick. He does not read the blog often (the nerve of him) so I will tell him that you wrote and give him your address! Thanks for reading!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had been there for all those wonderful tacos. And so great to see a post by Monica S. Can't wait to see all these lovely folks on Friday! Yeah.

    ReplyDelete