Tuesday, September 28, 2010

September updates...

I have not wrote in a couple of weeks because I have been working on an entry about the weddings and how could I possibly write without mentioning the weddings, as they were two of the biggest things that happened this year for us. However, I can't quite get out what I want to say, so I figured I would update and when I am finished with my recap, I will post it. So stay tuned.

In life other than the weddings, things have seemed pretty hectic. I suppose they are just as hectic as usual, but with school starting and Nick and I both working and the amount of therapies kicked up a notch, its just nuts.

We went for our sleep study last week in Philly. Sleep is pretty much the last thing that anyone got, however, if you are interested, this is what a sleep study is like. Remember those really old, black and white movies, where they are preparing someone for a lobotomy with the tin cap that's connected to a bunch of wires? Well its similar looking to that. We arrived in Philly to CHOP and went up to the sleep lab. Sleep lab translates to hospital room that is audio and video wired with infrared so that in the pitch black they can watch us all night. Ever been paranoid about what you look like when you are sleeping? I now have. (Ever felt the need to clarify just who it was that passed gas because it wasn't you and you know they are listening??? Me too.) Anyway, they attached around 40 nodes to Owen, on his head, eyebrows, neck, chin, chest, and legs. They put the nose tubes in, they have the heart rate monitors on. They wrap his entire head and chin in gauze until he looks like a head trauma patient and then they say, go to sleep. Ha. Owen managed to sleep for 3 hours that night and Nick and I, maybe 2 hours. Once Owen realized that he was going to hemmed up like this for the long haul, he said "Game on." The game being, I am not going to sleep and neither are you. As you can imagine around 3-4am after being up most of the night and being severely frustrated, Nick and I actually tried to catch an attitude with each other in hushed tones and clenched teeth. We can laugh about it now. But miraculously, they swear they got 5 hours worth of sleep from Owen (Yeah, maybe in 10 minute incremets.) And we can be thrilled that its over and under our belt.

Yesterday we had our pediatrician appointment. Caleb weighs in at 16lbs 12oz and Owen at 11lbs and 7 oz. Owen is up 10 ounces. Still this is not enough. I am just so frustrated by this. I work on Owen eating constantly. This weekend, I got him to take a 6 ounce bottle. He loves eating cereal and fruits and veggies. His favs are bananas, sweet potatoes and turkey. He hates peas and chicken. I do this like its my job and it is. I (and Nick) feed both babies all day. I mean ALL DAY. So, to hear that we are headed for a feeding tube, is upsetting. I am sure for those of you who read this, whose children have feeding tubes, I am being dramatic. But I just do not want one more additional thing to add to my plate. So, in my protest, we are now seeing the nutritionist who is looking into special formulas and we are having a barium swallow test done. I will keep you updated on the results of all.

In other news, Gavin loves first grade and this week, I am going to meet the teacher night and I cannot wait to see his class and check everything out. I love that he is so close to home and that he is home by 3. It really does make a difference. He has time to wind down, play and then when I get home, we are ready for homework, dinner, shower and cartoons.

Caleb is also great. He is funny. He has a sense of humor already and he loves to smile. It lights up my day. He is a chubster and I love to pretend to eat his thighs and he giggles away. Owen giggles too. I love hearing it. And we are big into raspberries lately. Playing with either one of them usually means you are getting spit on.

This weekend we are going to take G to his first karate class and on Sunday we are going apple picking. I cannot wait to take pictures in the pumpkin patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment