Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Escobar

Today I spoke with the geneticist and its been confirmed that Owen has Escobar. I also just was made aware that today is the first annual Arthrogryposis Awareness Day.

With respect to the Escobar, I just knew the tests would come back positive. After reading the symptoms of some of the kids I have come across with Escobar, Owen has just about every one of the symptoms.

Nick and I have an appointment with the geneticist on Friday to be tested to see about who is a carrier. We should also get some more information which I will report on here when I have a chance.

I am grateful to know what it is and at the same time, it doesn't really matter. It doesn't change what we are doing now or what we will do in the near future to help his body.

Early intervention has begun and we are doubling up on therapies now, both at HJD and at home. They are working on Owens neck and attempting to release his shoulders and ribs. Imagine your shoulders are hunched really high, that is what Owens feel like. Now imagine your ribs followed your shoulders and the opening of your ribs is up in your chest area and you will know what Owens feel like. The therapists feel like with muscle releasing or stretching and/or massaging those areas, we may be able to move these things down a bit.

Aside from all that, both babies are cooing like crazy and smiling. Owen has dimples when he smiles really big and Caleb does not stop trying to talk. I have a sneaking suspision that they are starting to teethe because they are eating their hands, whining and drooling a lot. We shall see if I am right soon enough.

Gavin is feeling better. This was a doozy of a virus! Poor baby. His tonsils were as big as golf balls. I imagine they will want to take his tonsils sooner than later and if it saves him a lifetime of strep (like I had) then hopefully it will be worth it.

Nick is home for the next 5 days! I am so happy. We are venturing out to the pool tomorrow and then to my parents for a couple of days. I am looking forward to having him around and for all of us to hang out.

I am also really looking forward to the farmers market this weekend. I really into trying to buy more locally grown food.

I will keep you posted about what the geneticist says!

No comments:

Post a Comment