Saturday, June 5, 2010

Kate made it through unscathed...

And I think she will still want kids one day!

We have made it through week one of no daddy and thank God for Kate. She was awesome. I was worried not having Nick here and all those night feedings, but she did amazing. Nick and I have a rhythm to nighttime feedings. He brings the babies to the livingroom, while I heat bottles and make formula. He turns on the tv, I grab spitrags. We sit. We do not speak to each other or the babies unless one of us wants to watch something else. We feed, we burp, we change, we swaddle and we rock. We wait. The babies eyes begin to close and we put them in bed. If I am lucky, I pumped at the last feeding and don't have to do it until the morning feeding. The process lasts 30-40 minutes and we are back in bed. Kate mastered the nighttime baby dance. I am going to miss her dearly.

This week we had daily therapy, OT on Tuesday, appointment with ortho on Tuesday and the all important and somewhat dreaded MRI. We also had our orthotic appointment where Owen got the bar put between his braces that help keep his feet positioned and his hips a bit more open. But, back to the MRI. So Owens brain is normal. Yay! I was terrified that because he has not smiled at me that he wasn't in there. I would go back and forth in my head feeling confident he was fine and then terrified he was not. But he is and of course, approximately 20 minutes after I found out that Owens brain was normal, he proceeded to smile a huge smile for the assistant orthotist, a bald man with huge teeth. Of course. So mommy still has not received a smile, but that man has. Nice. Owens spine is borderline for a tether. My understand of a tethered spine is that when you are born your spinal cord is longer to accomodate for your growing. If its tethered, there is a pull in there somewhere where the spinal cord must be released. Owens spinal cord is at 2-3 and should be a little longer however its not conclusive. So we wait until he is bigger and see how things are developing. Great news. Big sigh of relief.

This week brings Grandma Mary Anne and daily PT and OT. We have our much anticipated meeting with Early Intervention to start home PT and OT (Yay!!! I cannot afford Manhattan parking any longer!). And of course, this week brings Nick home and I cannot wait. This year is so different than last year with respect to my 10 days home without Nick. I was blogging then and if I remember correctly, I was bored and awaiting Lolas shedding to have something to clean. Oh what a difference a year makes. Lola is still shedding and I am still vacuuming, but its so much different. There isn't much boredom or down time with two more kids. There is not much relaxing, napping or quality G (Gavin) time.

Anyway, its all almost over and I can't wait to see my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment