Saturday, May 23, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

Its Memorial Day weekend. A lovely 3 day weekend for me. Gavin had Friday off and has Tuesday off so its like a mini vacation for him and Nick leaves tomorrow for 10 days in Utah! I am going to make sure he blogs about his time there. Funny thing is, the blog was Nicks idea. However, I am more into than he is. Anyway, today we did normal Saturday stuff- clean and work in the yard. We are going to have a nice dinner and do a fire in the fire pit for Nick's last night. I have to tell you, I am not looking forward to being a "single" parent for ten days! Ten days feels like a really long time right now. That's ten mornings of toothbrush fighting, ten days of "I don't want to go to bed, I am not tired" fighting. Ten days of breakfast, lunch and dinner without my sous chef. Ten nights of diagonal sleeping, whoo hoo! Just kidding, Gavin has already called dibs on Daddy's side of the bed. Needless to say, I really am going to miss Nick and wish he weren't going. But, this is his one trip...so he says.

Tomorrow, Gavin and I are shopping for a chair and a new quilt. Shhh, don't tell my husband. Then Monday, we are going to chill. If its hot, maybe we will venture to the beach. If its not, then we will hang at home and relax. I never relax. Even when I plan to relax, I don't.

Yesterday we were supposed to have our testing done for Nick and I. Just as a side note, I really had to argue with my boss about taking a half a day off. I left work at 2:30. Nick did as well. We met outside the doc at 3:30 and went upstairs. When we arrived at the docs door, it was locked. So we rang the bell and another doctor opens the door a crack. She asks what we are there for. We tell her we have a 3:30 with Dr. Huang. Rather rudely, she says "No, the office is closed. Dr. Huang is at the hospital with a patient." I just started to cry. I have been waiting so long to know if there is something wrong with us. Numerous times a day I wonder if its my thyroid or a clotting issue. I wonder if Nick and I are carriers for trisomy 16. I thought that Fridays appointment would help me take another step towards getting some answers and moving forward. Nick and I both told the doctor that answered the door that this was ridiculous and once she saw how upset I was, she softened a little. But it was truly upsetting that this appointment has not happened yet. I will be telling Dr. Huang how upset I am on Tuesday. It almost doesn't matter though because Nick is not here for ten more days. Technically, we can start trying again in July. I would like to do that. But, I can't without knowing the results. I won't with out the results.

On to better stuff, we loved Chicago. It was beautiful and Kate has a beautiful, comfortable apartment with tons of space and this really cool greenhouse window. The city, well what we saw of it, was very nice. Lots of different color bricks and little shops that are not chain stores. It was really a great, but too short trip. The pizza was delicious. You can't compare it to NY pizza, because its nothing like it, save for the three main ingredients- dough, cheese and sauce. I had the plain or cheese pizza with extra sauce. It was like foccacia with cheese on top, not too much and a thick layer of thick dark red tomato sauce that was enjoyably heavy on the oregano. The dough was crisp on the edges and it was buttery. By the time our (horrible) plane ride was over, it was far later than we had expected so we were unable to go to the place, so it was brought home to us. It was delicious and exactly what we needed after traveling. The name of the pizza shop is Pequods Pizza. Try it next time you are in Chicago!

I will post some pics on here of our trip. Enjoy this beautiful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment