Friday, October 22, 2010

October Updates...

I figure I better update, before its November and I have lost sight of October. (See my previous entry). Anyway, so this month we have had our meeting with the nutritionist, a barium swallow test, a new dietitian (I will explain why we have a nutritionist and a dietitian shortly), a pre-anesthesia appointment, a meeting with the orthopedist and an upcoming pulmonology meeting.

Basically, the nutritionist and I met a couple of times and she suggested that my child is hungry and that I am not feeding him enough. I brought him to her office when he was hungry on purpose. I timed his feeding so that he would take his bottle in front of her so that she could observe his eating. I journaled his food and bottle intake for more than a week. I charted other Escobar kids weight gains from birth to 2. And stupid me, apparently. She took his hunger to mean that I was not feeding him enough, that I am clearly not giving him what he needs and explained that since he is so hungry he is expending energy being hungry which is burning calories. In addition, she explained that feeding tubes are easier and could not understand my resistance to such an idea. Where to begin with this woman. First of all, Owen is not hungry. I am not even going to explain how much he eats because I refuse to feel like I have to explain myself here. He eats, he is not hungry. End of story. She refused to listen to me about how he gets exercise from therapy, he cries the entire time and he has Escobar, which all could contribute to his lack of weight gain. She put my chart in a folder and gave me back my food journal. No other consideration was given to reason. The answer has to be that I don't feed him enough. When I suggested an increase in his formula to water ratio, she said that wasn't going to help. When I suggested duocal, a supplement that bumps up the calories, she said that wouldn't help. And when I explained to her my feelings on feeding tubes and why I did not think that was the best option, she said I seemed a little excitable. I smiled and left. We no longer have appointments with her. The last thing I need are doctors that are making me excited.

The only reasonable thing she did do was order a swallow test for Owen. As I suspected, Owen swallows fine. I may seem a bit "know it all" here, but honestly, Owen is my job right now. I take knowing his situation so seriously that I do know A LOT. I do not know it all. However, when you are unwilling to do the research, or even listen to what I see and do every day with this child, its clear, I know more than you and we will not be continuing our relationship.

In the meantime, Early Intervention cleared us for a dietitian. She came over to the house and you should just hear the things that Owen can eat. Butter or olive oil with every meal. Condensed milk, ice cream, heavy cream, avocado, whipped cream. He may have mashed potatoes with cream and butter. He has a diet from heaven! Seriously, its felt very unnatural to feed him this way and I asked her if I could potentially be setting him up for a heart attack later. She assured me that I wasn't and that babies need much more fat and our goal is to get them to double and triple their weight in the first year. So I relaxed and now Owen is smacking his lips at his rice cereal, chicken, and sweet potatoes topped with melted butter. And he was weighed yesterday, between his 6 month check up and now he has gained 13 ounces, so I am suspecting by next weeks pediatrician appointment, he will have gained a pound!

As for orthopedics, his foot is recurring and that's not good. She suspects its the tethered spine. A long time ago (June) when we had a full-body MRI for Owen, they said he has a borderline tether. In light of the way his foot keeps recurring, she is pretty sure its tethered and it will have to be released in order to continue to fix his feet and for them to remain corrected. This will also have to be done prior to the VEPTR surgery which they think will happen in December of next year. We will get confirmation of the spine at the MRI in Philly, at CHOP on 11/2.

And lastly, we had our pre-anesthesia appointment yesterday for the MRI. Owen has to go under general anesthesia for the MRI and because of the apnea, he will have to be intubated in the OR, they will bring him to the MRI. He will have the study. They will bring him back to the PICU and then we will stay overnight for observation. They have to watch the breathing because of the lungs. So another overnight in Philly. I hate that we have to be away from Gavin and Caleb, but better safe than sorry.

Ok, that's all I got for now. More updates to come!

1 comment:

  1. Both Haley & Mason had tethered spinal cords so let me know if/when you have any questions! Hugs!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete