Saturday, May 22, 2010

For the birds...

The week was good. This weekend is for the birds! Aunt Beth was here and it just so happened that I did not have so many back to back marathon city days, but rather one hour appointments where I could leave Caleb home with AB and Owen and I could run. It was so easy with one baby! I remember how hard one baby was when I just had Gavin but now I have a whole new perspective!

Monday we had thyroid bloodwork. That's it! Not a bad way to start the week.

Tuesday we had OT, PT and Ortho. OT made Owen new hand braces and they are awesome! His hands are completely open in them and when I take them off, they stay pretty open. The splints also function to take his thumb out of his palm. I never saw Owen move some of his fingers until after wearing these braces for a few days and I am just amazed! He can move some of the tightest curled fingers and its just awesome to see. We also got braces to keep his arms straight since he can bring his hands to his mouth, but can't bring them to his hips. Once the ortho was done looking at him, she felt he needs more PT especially for his foot, so we were approved for and have been going to daily PT for 14 sessions.

Wednesday was PT. I love PT. Its so good for him. He doesn't love it, but it changes his body.

Thursday was our PT evaluation for early intervention and then PT in the city.

Friday started off ok. Caleb was terribly fussy from 2am on. He would not sleep well, was screaming his head off and was eating one ounce at a time. He is normally a piglet so it was odd. I had to take Owen at 7 am to PT, so I left AB with him and told her he is really fussy. I went to PT and met with the ortho for a quick foot check. Grabbed Gavin from field day and we all went up to mom and dads for a visit. I had been looking forward to visiting all week, when there would be so many hands to hold the babies!

We get out of the car at mom and dads and my dad takes the car seats inside. Caleb is awake and fussing so he takes him out of his seat. He holds him for one second and says to me "Sara, Caleb is burning up.". My mom used the ear thermometer on him and his temp was 101.6! I call the pediatrician and she says to get a rectal thermometer, take it 2 more times and call her. I do that and its 102.2! We pile back in the car and drive down to Westchester Medical Center, where I am sitting writing this entry.

Caleb was admitted because when you are this young, a fever that high could mean meningitis. So this poor child had to have a spinal tap. So far the initial results are good and they do not think meningitis, but we are waiting to see the results of everything because his ears and throat look fine. Please say a prayer that its a cold or something simple.

We will be here at the hospital for another 24 hours at least receiving antibiotics.

It doesn't seem to stop.

Westchester Medical Center is like the Ritz of hospitals. I have a double bed, a huge flat screen, a phone, a remote that turns off the lights, works the tv and calls the nurses, a glider chair. Honestly, if you have to go anywhere, you should come here.

No comments:

Post a Comment