Tuesday, May 11, 2010

We are getting discharged soon...

Owens surgery is over and I am thrilled. I am sitting in the step-down room with Owen in my arms (multi-tasking) and just watching him breathe. Surgery went well. It took a lot longer than expected, but apparently due to his chin and mouth being small, its very hard to intubate him. The word intubate just seems too big for Owen. He shouldn't have to be intubated. Anyway, right at the time where I was getting seriously worried, Nick asked the nurses if everything was ok and they assured us it was. About 20 minutes later, we could see him in recovery. He looked good, had good coloring and although he was still asleep, he was moving his arms around. Soon after they gave him tylenol suppositories, he woke and understandably, he wasn't thrilled. I got the chance to hold him through the recovery room process and until we were transferred to the step-down unit where we still are. However, I had to leave him with Nick for his overnight stay and it killed me. How could I leave him? How could I not go home to Caleb when I had his dinner in my bag and needed to provide him with more for today? How could I not see Gavin for approximately 24 hours? Ahhh, the guilt. I had to go and I did. I was back early this morning in time for Nick to go work and heard all about how Owen had a good night. I am glad he got some sleep. His incision sites look good. He has trouble latching because of the intubation, but they assure me that will pass. Although NYU has been great and the staff great and they are really into patient (and parents) being happy and comfortable, I am ready to go home and have all my boys together.

We cannot thank you all enough for the thoughts and prayers.

I can't thank the people who have helped us over these last 6 weeks enough either. From driving Gavin to school everyday and home on some days to bringing food to us, sleeping over and taking a feeding, sending us cards and letters telling us that we are doing a great job, we really appreciate it. I feel like I say that a lot, but I am not sure how to express what we feel, except to say that we feel so lucky and blessed to have all of you in our lives. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment