Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I am just amazed and need to vent...

Let me begin by saying that I never once in my life have asked anyone what was wrong with their child, let alone themself. Even when some sort of difference was glaringly obvious, I am the type of person who ignores it and maybe even stupidly acts like I did not notice it if and when its brought up. So its blowing my mind how many people ask about Owen. In my mind, Owen looks pretty "normal" for lack of a better word. His chin is a little small, but other than than, he looks very much like Gavin when he was born. We looked at G's baby pics tonight and it was fun to see how in some pics Gavin and Owen are so much alike and in others Gavin and Caleb are the spitting image of each other. I am not delusional. I see the birth marks. I see his little chin. I see lower set ears. I also see my adorable and sweet boy with big brown eyes and perfect pink lips that I love. But the world sees Owens birth marks and his hands with curly fingers or his braces. They see the casts. And to my dismay they ask. What happened to his hands? What happened to his legs? What's on his face? These are not people I know. These are random strangers who are in the elevator as I leave the Hospital for Joint Diseases, where one might presume that the name of the facility itself may indicate why the hell I am there with my newborns. These are people on the street, who peak into my double stroller, thrilled to see twins and then feel the need to ask. Why? Its not your business. I don't know you and won't know you. Does it cross your mind that you are looking at the babies I grew inside of me and you asking what is wrong with one of them? Finding out there is something wrong with your child is nothing short of a nightmare and for some reason you feel I should expain it to you? I know I sound angry. I am. I am also tired. It feels rude to me to ask. And I am angry because I have yet to come up with a clever retort, something along the lines of "what's wrong with your manners?". Instead, I explain. I give far too much information to a complete stranger about my child. I don't know why. I am going to have to become more clever or just pretend to not speak english or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment