Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day, this past week and tomorrow

I am going to attempt to be short and sweet here, since the babies just went down and if we don't sleep now, we might as well wait for them to get up in two short hours, or else the small amount of sleep we get doesn't feel like sleep, but rather a tease and we both end up cranky.

Mother's Day was great. I spent time with my family and had good food, laughs and got to take a break while everyone else fed and held the babies. I even got a nap in the big chair in the livingroom. I felt like I earned this Mother's Day. Not that I have not been entitled in the past, I am a mother, but lately, I have earned my stripes.

This past week was actually an easy week as compared to the last few. I had casting on Monday with the fitting for Owens new orthotic braces. The doc rushed the braces because of surgery tomorrow. It would have been hard to make or have a cut where his hernia is and thigh high casts. So he gets a casting vacation. Monday I was on my own with all three kids, so that was a little crazy. I really do not have enough hands for all three kids. While Owen is crying because he is being manipulated, Caleb is crying because he is hungry and hates his carseat and Gavin has to pee. I am not sure how to split myself. So the nurses take Gavin to the bathroom and I balance a bottle in Calebs mouth with pushing the pacifier in Owens. I find this combo frazzles me. So Tuesday, I enlisted the help of my mom. We went to OT and PT. We got new hand braces and I learned a few new ways to stretch Owen, some of which he liked. Wednesday I had nothing and so I finally took the babies to meet their great grandma and grandpa on my Moms side. I know they have been really worried and not understanding Owens condition, so I thought seeing him and holding him would help them. It did. They love both of the boys and think they look like little dolls. Thursday, we got the casts off and the new braces on. I called my Aunt Karen and asked if she would come with me and she did. It was great to have her help and I was happy for the company as well. Owens casts are a nice change. They are only from his knee down, so that is nice. We are able to work his knees and give him a bath, touch his legs and feet. It did not dawn on me until the doc said it, but Owens not used to touch on his legs and feet. So we have to not only stretch and manipulate the feet and legs, but also take the time to just touch and kiss and rub them, like we do to Caleb. As of right now, no matter what we do, Owen freaks a little and does not want to be touched. But we are working on it.

Friday, we did nothing. Ha. And by nothing I mean, I just took care of two babies all day at home. My parents stopped by for an hour. Picture this, I hear a car pull up with loud bass bumping. I look outside and yes, its my parents in their new bright red Mazda Miata convertible, pumping hot 97, reggae hour. It was quite the experience. Needless to say, I am happy that they like their new car, even if it is only a two seater and I have no idea where they might fit their grandsons.

And now, tomorrow is here. I am working on being strong, but its hard. My dads friend gave me holy water from Lourdes and I swear I am going to rub it on Owen and Caleb and probably Gavin tomorrow. I am just so nervous for his tiny little body to be put under. We have to be at the hospital for noon and surgery is at 1:30, so please keep us in your prayers and thoughts. I hope it goes quickly, smoothly, and is as pain free as possible. I wish it was me, not him. My mom used to say that to me every time I had surgery or went through something crappy. I used to think to myself that it was just something nice she said. But, no, I now know, she really did wish it was her instead of me and I feel the same way tonight.

And in other kid news, Gavin won his soccer game on Saturday. He also got a 100 on his spelling test. He recieved a new Yankee shirt from Brian's dad and his fiancee and insists on wearing a Yankee tee with a St. Louis hat, to be fair to all his teams. Too cute.

Caleb is doing much better on his new medication. Maybe 1 bottle a day is a hard bottle to get down, otherwise, he is sucking them down like a pro. He is up another half ounce. Such a chubster! He is also really trying to use his hands a lot, to take his pacifier out (at the most convenient times, I assure you) and to reach for the toy that hangs from his car seat. He is also learning how to grab a handful of my hair while I burp him, so when I go to put him back in my arms for feeding, he almost takes a clump with him. Despite that, I love watching him move them and grab for things. Both Caleb and Owen are interacting with us more and more. Its fun to watch!

Ok, so much for short posts. I am off to bed to attempt to get some rest for tomorrow. We will be at NYU all day and Nick will spend the night with Owen. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. You are so strong...Owen is going to strive on both your love and strength as I am sure the three other men in you life do too. Thinking of you all today...hugs and happy thoughts to you all.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the Owen bean made it through strong and I'm so relieved and happy for you guys. I love you all. Can't wait to come help you out and smother your boys with hugs and kisses.

    ReplyDelete